Thursday, May 6, 2010

80s Flashback-The Hair Bands

Chris Rock once said of the Spice Girls, regarding their albums, "How come I don't know anyone who bought one?" The same could be said of the hair bands. Most people are ashamed to admit that they were once fans and purchased albums. You don't hear people discussing the great music of Poison, for example.

I admit, I loved the hair bands. Well, not all of them, but I did have a Poison and Skid Row poster on my wall. I had a huge crush on Sebastian Bach, the lead singer of Skid Row. I liked guys with long hair. I cranked up the songs and enjoyed them. I took them for granted, thought they would always be around, not aware that tastes and styles changed, including my own.

I caught the last big tour of Skid Row, and as a sign of what was to come their opening act was Soundgarden. Tastes did change, and the hair bands faded. The look of men growing out their hair was also gone, haircuts were given to most of the bands. I did have a couple of friends that for years after the look was popular would point to a guy and say, "look, he has long hair." I didn't matter what he looked like, they thought I would like him just because he had long hair. I just laugh at it now.

I also have to laugh at the music. It wasn't great, the themes were common, women, drinking, and parties. The bands would release a "hard" song for their street creed, then release a love ballad for record sales. I didn't matter if the previous song was rude to women, so long as a power ballad was made all was forgiven. It was a formula.

Sebastian Bach is now a reality show contest, as is Bret Michaels. They tour on a feeling of nostalgia, when their fans were younger and didn't have kids. The more I learn about Sebastian Bach the more I know my crush was mis-placed, he doesn't seem to be brightest bulb on the front porch. Then again, tastes change, what I loved as a teenager no longer holds true as an adult.

-----My thanks to PortableGraffiti on Zibbet for the buttons picture. If you're interested in buttons, 80s or otherwise, check it out on Zibbet. The selection is amazing.

2 comments:

Portable Graffiti said...

Fun article. Enjoyed reading it. My favorite artist, way back when was Joan Baez. I have most of her albums. Still like her but not as much as I did back then.

Thanks for mention of my shop. I have hundreds more vintage rock buttons than the ones listed on Zibbet. I just don't have time to list them all yet. So if anyone wants anything in particular, please ask.

I also have old advertising buttons....tubs and tubs of buttons to go through.

Barbra said...

Great post...brought back OLD memories!